Senior Platform Engineer
- Full Time
StackPath is cloud platform built at the internet’s edge, providing infrastructure and services physically closer to the source or destination of data than hyperscale cloud service providers. StackPath edge compute—including Virtual Machines and Containers—and edge applications—including CDN and WAF—are strategically located in the world’s most densely populated areas, and united by a secure private network backbone and a single management system. Customers ranging from Fortune 50 enterprises to one-person startups trust StackPath to give their latency-sensitive workloads and applications the speed, security, and efficiency they require. For more information, visit stackpath.com and follow StackPath at www.fb.com/stackpathllc and www.twitter.com/stackpath.
About the Role
StackPath is looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to join Platform Engineering team to solve tough observability problems for StackPath’s critical infrastructure and applications. StackPath employs a cutting-edge observability toolchain and looking to bring a senior contributor to take it to the next level. As we evolve our Edge platform to provide seamless Delivery, Compute and Security solutions at the edge of the internet, you will work with product and architecture team on defining, aligning and optimizing strategy around the overall observability toolchain.
You have experience with engineering, implementing and integrating system solutions that scale, a passion for problem solving, Infrastructure as Code experience, and the ability to learn new skills as required.
The ideal candidate has:
- Worked in high-performing, fast-paced operations teams in a “startup like” environment.
- Production experience supporting cloud and on-premise infrastructure with varying degree of complexity.
- Has an “automation-first” mindset.
- Passionate about observability, monitoring and actionable alert management at scale.
- In-depth knowledge of commercial as well as open-source alerting & trouble ticket management tools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement, maintain, and grow the observability and monitoring framework that supports the needs of multiple internal stakeholders.
- Work with open-source tools and third-party vendors alike to stay current with technologies,
- Identify solution gaps and come up with strategies to keep StackPath toolchain up-to-date at all times.
- Works to continuously monitor and improve systems, processes, and related technical infrastructure.
- Improves technical effectiveness by automating tasks and utilizing programming or scripting to perform support duties.
- Participate in selections of new operational tools and perform bake-offs.
- Manage event and escalation management in ITSM tools.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelors degree in any discipline of Information Technology or equivalent demonstrated experience.
- 5+ years of prior experience working in a similar role
- Experience implementing and supporting a broad range of monitoring and alerting platforms (Prometheus and Alertmanager, Grafana, Zabbix, Nagios etc.)
- Deep technical knowledge and operational experience with synthetic testing tools such as Catchpoint, Citrix ITM/NEM or equivalent
- Experience working with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes is a plus
- Hands-on experience integrating with enterprise ticketing platforms such as Zendesk, JIRA JSM etc. or equivalent.
- Experience with virtualization platforms and containerization technologies(Kubernetes, Docker, QEMU, KVM)
- Proficient in Linux
- Ability to read and write simple integration scripts (e.g. Python), programs and config files, as well as complex queries and alert definitions.
- Experience defining, creating, and supporting monitoring dashboards that serve the needs of a variety of internal stakeholders.
- Comfort working across departments and stakeholders to evangelize and communicate observability expertise and standards.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
StackPath is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE/AA M/F/D/V
If your experience and qualifications match our current needs, a member of our human resources team will contact you. We look forward to hearing from you.